Monday, August 20, 2012

Stuck


It finally happened.  I stuck a part in a new mould.  This hasn't happend for a few years and it is always a suprise when it does.

I did manage to get the part out of the mould after a long struggle.  You can see where the gel pulled off the part and stuck to the mould.  I had to cut and break up the part some to get it free.  I was even  able to chip the stuck gel off the mould without damaging it.  I only have a small bit to sand off.  It's only about the size of my thumb nail.  Luckily it didn't stick where the suspension strut fastens at the top of the wheel well.  There is a bit more to sand around the edge of the mould where the vinyl ester resin really stuck.  This was on the flange where there was no gelcoat.  Vinyl ester does stick much better than polyester gel coat.  It the future I will use PVA in new moulds until they are broken in.  I thought lots of coats of wax would do the trick but I guess not.

I have another mould sprayed up which I am hoping will release well.  This mould was treated the same as the one I stuck the part in.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that it comes out OK.   

No comments:

Post a Comment