Back on two wheels of a different sort. There is more riding to do on the island off road than on, so I now have a new bike. Never had a bike I could ride much off road before so it is a new experience. I do need to learn some new skills as the last time I rode an upright bike for more than five minutes was over twenty years ago. Already fell over twice as a result of a bit of overconfidence riding some easy trails. More practice required. The front shock is an entirely composite unit, seems to work quite well and is quite light. Maybe the basic idea can be adapted to work in a velomobile. I built a composite rear suspension in the Aurora which works great but is hard to adapt to a tadpole configuration. Putting both ideas together and building a prototype to try it out may happen once I have some spare time.
Building the pattern(plug) to create removeable foot(heel)covers for the Milan SL. I laid up some material to mimic the thickness of the foot hole covers and now need to make it all smooth and shiny. If you remove the foot(heel) bumps from the SL you increase the ground clearance considerably. I had to tie some kayaks on a new car the other day and ground clearance for the car was about the same as the SL with the heel bumps removed. Considering that the wheel base of the car was longer the SL may have more clearance. I noticed that on the front bumper of the car there is a rudder strip that hides the scrapes under the car's front. With the heel cutouts you also get reverse back without opening the door and using your hand on the ground. This works for me but for shorter folks this may not be an option. You also get more ventilation with air coming in the foot holes.